Re: Bandwidth limits??

Wayne Schlitt (wayne@backbone.midwestcs.com)
22 Oct 1996 00:17:26 -0500

[ I sent posted this earlier, but I think my active file didn't have
linux.dev.kernel marked as moderated... (it's supposed to be, right?) ]

In <Pine.LNX.3.95.961019122435.507D-100000@gytha.demon.co.uk> Bryn Paul Arnold Jones <bpaj@gytha.demon.co.uk> writes:

> On Sat, 19 Oct 1996, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Something equivalent to the "nice" command would be nice :-)
> > > Like: bwnice [-p maximum percent of bandwidth] [command [args...]]
>
> This could be done as part of PPP [ ... ]

Personally, I think this should be done it the kernel somehow and
apply it to any/all shared I/O devices. A large 'tar x' should not
kill disk I/O for everyone. Ftp shouldn't kill the Ethernet for all
users of the network. A program that is dumping stuff to the X server
shouldn't kill X performance for all the other programs.

Yes, the above is not a clearly defined specification for what should
be done. Yes, some things may have to be special cased. But, it is
clear that the problem of one process saturating the bandwidth of a
device is not limited to just to a serial PPP connection. A general
system that works ok for all I/O devices might be a much better first
step than a specialized system that works great for only one device.

-wayne

--
Wayne Schlitt can not assert the truth of all statements in this
article and still be consistent.