Re: [off-topic] Fully virtualisable CPUs

Edward Welbon (welbon@bga.com)
Sun, 8 Sep 1996 23:50:30 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 8 Sep 1996, Orion wrote:

> Forgive my ignorance in these matters, but is it possible that this can
> ever change in the x86 architecture? Possibly when we make the jump to
> a 64-bit run mode instead of 32-bit?

In merced (aka P7, the 64 bit Intel cpu), the instruction set is
supposedly different and there is built in emulation for the 32 bit intel
code. It certainly would seem reasonable that Intel would want to be able
to run 32 bit guest operating systems under Eagle (the alledged HP/SCO
joint effort 64 bit unix). Virtualizing merced would seem to be
reasonable at least for P6 compatibility mode. Ya never know.

Ed Welbon; welbon@bga.com;