Re: Alternate solutions (Was: Re: NFS still has caching problem)

Hakan Tandogan (hakan@speedy.iconsult.com)
21 Jul 1996 11:05:57 +0200

jauderho@netcom.com (Jauder Ho) writes:

> why should we follow what sun does? We wrote our own filesystem
>because it is better than ufs. similarly we can still have NFS, no mat=
ter
>how broken it is and move forward at the same time by creating a bette=
>filesystem ( one that works rather than just research based; although =
we
>can pick the minds of people that are versed in it, there were some go=
od
>concepts in the Sprite filesystem ).

Because you want to cooperate with other machines in a
networked environment. Either you would provide implementations (and
maybe binaries) of your filesystem for various unix dialects and even
Windows or you're simply cut off :-(

Hakan

--=20
Hakan Tandogan Rennestra=DFe 30, D-91054 Erlangen (+49)-=
9131-54882
hakan@speedy.iconsult.com http://home.pages.de/~ha=
kan/

What is that "sleep" thing, anyway?