Re: _My_ turn for a 2.1 wishlist

Matthew X Economou (joot@vnet.ibm.com)
Fri, 19 Jul 1996 09:45:09 -0400 (EDT)

> (Peeter Joot) wrote:
>
> > It does. The AIX file/disk system is quite neat -- you can dynamically
> > grow and shrink file systems and partitions on the fly ( while the
> > system is in full use ). It's also journaled and fully supports raid
> > arrays.
> >
> > I know that some people are working on a journaled file system for
> > Linux like in AIX. I could take or leave this, but I'd sure like
> > a Linux filesystem/partition set up that is as flexible as AIX's.
>
> I know you can dynamically grow the filesystems in AIX, but when did
> they
> add the ability to shrink them? I use 4.1.4 at work, and I know you can
> not there. Is it one of the new features in 4.2?

Well, my turn to eat crow. I had been told that it was a feature of
AIX 4.1 ( but not of AIX 3.2 ), but I had never actually tried it ( having
trusted the well informed-ness of my information source. )... It seems
that AIX 4.1 can only increase the size of a file system.

Peeter

--
 Peeter Joot          TOROLAB(PJOOT)         joot@vnet.ibm.com
 IBM Canada           Tie Line 778-3186      Phone 416-448-3186