Re: Has anyone noticed

Mikael Abrahamsson (mike@uplift.sparta.lu.se)
Sat, 23 Mar 1996 04:14:55 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 22 Mar 1996, Stephen wrote:

> I seem to have encountered a rather odd bug as of late... Has anyone
> noticed with the 1.3.74 and up kernel codes that when a program that
> a user is running doesn't purge itself if the user doesn't exit the
> program through normal means??? To be more specific.... If a user
> say telnets into your machine and runs a program, while in the program
> he drops his link, the program then goes on to run as a background
> process... Anyone else notice this?

Not only does it go into the background, it goes into busywaiting. I've
seen this a lot with pine, elm, ncftp for instance. I have to kill these
stray cpuhogging processes a couple of times a week that my 50 users
leave behind. I've seen this all the way since 1.2.x though, so I havent
reflected any concerning it.