Re: Small bug in 1.3.76

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi)
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 21:18:58 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, Andrew C. Esh wrote:

> BTW: Are "Me too" messages verboten in here? I would not have posted the
> third "me too". I just figured Boris needed some backing. It's a bug.

Yeah, it sure was.. Of course, we all have Pentiums, so it didn't matter,
right? ;-)

Oh, well.. 1.3.77 is out, and that hopefully fixes that particular bug. I
think it should fix one "double lock on socket" bug too, and SMP should
hopefully work again.

(Btw, the "double lock on socket" message is perfectly normal if you're
swapping: that's exactly what the new locking code was designed to handle
gracefully, and it's a normal event. I'll remove the printk() when I'm
sure that I have found all the non-normal events: getting huge amounts of
these messages is NOT normal, but getting that message occasionally when
the system is swapping a bit is fine)

Also in 77:
- VESA mode scanning bug fix
- irq free in cdu31a driver when a module
- module fixes for mcd and lp drivers too..
- NCR5380 updates
- msdos fs one-liner fix
- hopefully nfsroot works again
- added atomic operations to handle some things more efficiently
- Oops. We didn't get exclusive file access for mmap page writes

In short, it's generally faster, more beatiful, and it gets up in the
morning to make you coffee. And even if it doesn't, you should still
check it out so that I can get feedback..

Linus