Re: init bug

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@drinkel.ow.org)
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 10:24:19 +0100 (MET)

In article <199603181858.LAA25448@roke.rap.ucar.EDU>,
Tres Hofmeister <tres@rap.ucar.edu> wrote:

> I'm sorry if this is a bit off the subject, and that it's not
>specifically a kernel problem (I hope), but I think the original problem
>may have been one I've seen a few times with my Slackware 3.0 / 1.2.13
>system.
>
> Something, somewhere, changes /dev/console from its normal state
>(major 4, minor 0) state to a link to a pty such as ttyp0:
>
>crw--w--w- 2 root tty 4, 192 Mar 14 07:02 /dev/console

Try a newer init, such as sysvinit-2.59 that I uploaded to sunsite and
tsx-11 yesterday. When you go into single user level, init links the
tty you're on to /dev/console (so it becomes the "logical system console").
Ofcourse it shouldn't do this when you're on a pseudo terminal, but it
does. Pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL on the physical system console relinks
/dev/console to the virtual console master.

I've taken all this sysv nonsense out in later version of init (>= 2.58).

Mike.

--
+ Miquel van Smoorenburg   + Cistron Internet Services +  Living is a     |
| miquels@cistron.nl (SP6) | Independent Dutch ISP     |   horizontal     |