Re: Small bug in 1.3.76

Andrew C. Esh (andrewes@cnt.com)
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 12:36:30 -0600

Bjorn Ekwall wrote:

> Are you _sure_ you did "make dep" on your kernel before compiling it?

Yes, but I did it again just now to make sure. The file
"include/linux/modules/fatfs_syms.ver" did not get updated. I
even tried a "make clean; make dep". No luck. I renamed the file
and did another "make dep". It was created, and now it has the
symbols I need. I figured out the final answer, below.

BTW: This is very educational, Bjorn. Thanks.

> The symbols that you see complaints about should be included in
> fatfs_syms.ver, and the lines should look something like:
>
> #define fat_code2uni _set_ver(fat_code2uni, 6832fb5c)
> #define fat_uni2code _set_ver(fat_uni2code, 2cc9f9e1)
> #define fat_readdirx _set_ver(fat_readdirx, b43bfe26)
>
> If they _do_ look like this (or almost like this) and you still
> have problems, mail me!

None of those three symbols were in the file, or in any other .ver
file in the same directory. Now they are. I must have insterrupted
the original make, and the file was never completed, or something.
"make clean; make dep; make clean" does not clear this up. I had to
manually rename the file.

SOOO, after some checking, the real answer for my problem is this:

If you patch kernels instead of simply uncrating the whole source tree
from scratch, you should "make mrproper; make dep; make clean". The
mrproper target gets rid of the .ver files. The "clean" tag can't.

BTW: When I refer to kernel source code, is it the convention to start
the path like "linux/include/...", rather than "include/..."? I assumed
people knew I was in "/usr/src/linux", so I quoted a relative path.

--
Andrew C. Esh			mailto:andrew_esh@cnt.com
Computer Network Technology	andrewes@mtn.org (finger for PGP key)