Re: 1.3.74: xconfig: soundcard broken

etorrem@hvns01.ns-nl.att.com
Mon, 18 Mar 96 10:13:07 EST

From: "Torremans E." <etorrem@hvns01.ns-nl.att.com>
To: "John Vozza" <john@netrom.com>,
"owner-linux-kernel" <owner-linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>,
"submit-linux-dev-kernel" <submit-linux-dev-kernel@ratatosk.yggdrasil.com>
Subject: Re: Etherexpress support appears broke...
Date: Mon Mar 18 15:57 MET 1996

>> John Vozza wrote:
>> >
>> > I successfully moved from 1.2.13elf to 1.3.71 with no problems
>> > then patched to 1.3.72 still no problems. Then I patched to
>> > 1.3.73 and at boot up, the etherexpress driver casues an oops
>> > 0002 kernel paging error.
>>
>> My machine just locked up when I ifconfig the thing.
>> (I don't have a text console to look at kernel oops-es. If syslogd
>> doesn't get a chance to write them to disk, I don't see them....)
>>
>> Roger.

I have the same results with the EtherExpress driver from 1.3.73 and 1.3.74.
At "ifconfig eth0 ...." the machine locks up solid.

However I have a different version of this driver that runs perfectly with
these kernels. I have not had a chance to find out where my own version and
the kernel version differ.

I found the original version of this driver at:
http://www.threethirtysix.org/~schuyler/snorgen/

The version available there only runs on 1.2.13 and early 1.3.x kernels so I
modified it to run with 1.3.59 and it still runs with 1.3.73. I only had to
change the IRQ interface.

If anybody is interested in this version of the driver send me an email and
I will mail it to you.

Good luck,

Engelbert

| Engelbert Torremans |
| CBU CBM-EMEA MultiMedia offer group | |
| Lucent Technologies | Former AT&T Network Systems |
| Room BG-231 | Tel: +31 35 687 1411 |
| P.O. Box 1168 | Fax: +31 35 687 5842 |
| 1200 BD Hilversum | Email: e.torremans@att.com |
| The Netherlands | |