Re: VFS panic: cannot mount root filesystem

Michael J. Micek (mmicek@muddcs.cs.hmc.edu)
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 00:11:49 -0800 (PST)

> On 12 Mar 96 at 13:24, I wrote:
>
> > I tried to build 1.3.71 and 1.3.72 without success: The kernels
> > compiled fine, but they wouldn't boot sucessfully. They can't mount
> > the filesystem. The last successful kernel is 1.3.68. I upgraded the
> > sources by patching. I also did make mrproper; make dep; make
> > oldconfig, etc several times. I also checked that there's no *.o file
> > left.
> >
> > Is there a bad patch file? Who has similar experience?

I haven't had this problem, but you aren't the first person
to be bit with the "make mrproper ... make oldconfig" thing.
(I don't use make oldconfig.)

> To make it clearer: The kernel always fails, not only from time to
> time. 1.3.68 works; therefore I guess it's not my partition.

yup, because:

> I'll include the .config;
> maybe it's related with it.

> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE is not set

> # CONFIG_SCSI is not set

In other words, you can't mount the filesystem because you
haven't included any support for any kind of hard drive!

--
Michael J. Micek, peripatetic philosopher. Try 'em all (Mt 8:20) mmicek@nyx.net
mmicek@muddcs.cs.hmc.edu  Hi! sam@butthead.colorado.edu ab496@freenet.uchsc.edu