Re: SCSI disk driver module spin-up

Mon, 26 Feb 1996 13:22:47 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 25 Feb 1996, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> Well, what number of hours running causes the same wear as one spinup?
> Determine this (buy 10000 drives and run them...), then spindown at
> 10% of that time because most drives are not well cooled.
>
> I do think 26 hours is good. If you do not use the disk for 26 hours,
> it is likely that you will not use it again any time soon.
>
> (about partition tables: you don't _need_ to read them all)

Hmm, I wouldent think reading the partition table would be a problem,
don't SCSI disks spinup at power on anyway ?
Bryn
(I don't own any SCSI stuff, but I am looking at getting some ....)

--
PGP key available from any good server   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
1024/EB275221 1995/09/05 Bryn P. A. Jones |            initiated.