Re: memory counted wrong ?!

sct@dcs.ed.ac.uk
Mon, 26 Feb 96 02:08 GMT

Hi,

On Sat, 24 Feb 1996 12:50:08 +0100 (MET), Hans-Helmut Buehmann
<hans@expmech.ing.tu-bs.de> said:

> I repeat this message, because I got no reply, and here are sometimes
> problems with the mailing system:

I didn't reply because I am tired of providing the same answer every
other week on this mailing list.

>> Why is cached + shared > used ?
>> Or why is shared > total ?

Because "shared" is an indication of how much sharing is going on, NOT
a count of the amount of shared memory. Each process or cache
reference to a shared page counts towards "shared". If a page has n
references to it, it counts as n-1 towards the "shared" count.

Cheers,
Stephen.

--
Stephen Tweedie <sct@dcs.ed.ac.uk>
Department of Computer Science, Edinburgh University, Scotland.