Re: Linux 1.3.66: Problem with SCSI bus scan

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de)
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 01:16:46 +0100

In linux.dev.kernel, article <9602250609.AA23043@iworks.InterWorks.org>=
,
<deischen@iworks.interworks.org> writes:
>=20
> Please install or link cpp in /usr/bin. You haven't successfully bui=
lt
> the kernel with the aic7xxx driver. The new version of the driver ne=
eds
> the C preprocessor (cpp) to preprocess the sequencer code.
>=20
The standard for cpp under Linux is "gcc -E". Since aic7xxx_asm.c actua=
lly
tries to execute /usr/bin/gcc (well, the source code looks like it
tries...), may I suggest that you fix that program instead of requiring
every user to "fix" their installation.

Simple strategy: Use an environment variable $CPP (Linux "make zImage"
already sets it) and complain if it isn't set, instead of the current a=
nd
obviously faulty (who says I have to install cpp in /usr/bin? Or gcc?
Isn't that what $PATH is for? Besides, what if I'm crosscompiling?)
list-of-command method in aic7xxx_asm.c.=20

--=20
War is much too serious a matter to be entrusted to the military.
-- Georges Clemenceau
--=20
Matthias Urlichs \ XLink-POP N=FCrnberg | EMail: urlichs@smurf.=
noris.de
Schleiermacherstra=DFe 12 \ Unix+Linux+Mac | Phone: ...please use =
email.
90491 N=FCrnberg (Germany) \ Consulting+Networking+Programming+etc'i=
ng 42
PGP: 1B 89 E2 1C 43 EA 80 44 15 D2 29 CF C6 C7 E0 DE=20
Click <A HREF=3D"http://smurf.noris.de/~smurf/finger">here</A>.