Why not make Linux source modular?

Andrew Veliath (veliaa@rpi.edu)
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 00:01:47 -0500

cs95rro@brunel.ac.uk writes:
> OK, this is sort of a continuation of the Linus overworked thread. It's also
> probably been discussed before, so feel free to flame me if I'm being a
> complete idiot. :-)
>
> My point is this: Why is Linux kernel source distributed as one big lump?
>
> Many of the drivers could be distributed seperatly as modules, such as file
> system drivers, some Networking protocols, Net cards etc... and have different
> people maintaining them. Ftape already does this, and it works. (Although
> he is mumbling about integrating it with the kernel...)
>
> Just an idea... ,'/

There are a lot of drivers, but not as many architectures. Since the
compressed size is approaching 4 megs, I wonder if it is a good idea
to have linux-common and linux-{arch} files for each kernel version.
However, I think this would make patching more complicated. I'm sure
this has been brought up before...?

Andrew Veliath <veliaa@rpi.edu>
http://www.rpi.edu/~veliaa
Finger for PGP Key