Re: hang while swapping - 1.3.59+big patch

Andreas Kostyrka (andreas@medman.ag.or.at)
Sat, 10 Feb 1996 19:10:43 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 31 Jan 1996, Brian M Grunkemeyer wrote:

> BTW, I had enough memory free to run the program. It allocated the
> memory without a problem.
That may be the problem or not, but you can't be sure that there is
enough memory even if the malloc suceeds with Linux. Memory is actually
allocated on writing data to a page (CopyOnWrite or so), I believe. This
is also a philosophical argument, but there are programs that add swap files
dynamically based upon demand :)

Andreas

--
Andreas Kostyrka