Re: Problems compiling procps 0.99 (fwd)

Andreas Kostyrka (andreas@medman.ag.or.at)
Sat, 10 Feb 1996 18:42:38 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 10 Feb 1996, William E. Roadcap wrote:
> The newest version of the ncurse header file is named curses.h. The old
> curses library has been declared obsolete on Linux systems. The Makefile is
> written correctly, but, it would be better to have the Makefile detect
> which header should be used.
I see. Is there a Slackware distribution out there, which uses this nue
ncurses? If not, expect a few problems. (I'm running Slackware 3.0 from
Dec 95 cdrom) I understand that I have to upgrade the procps utils for
the new kernel. Ok, but why have I to upgrade to a new ncurses? (And if
I'm unlucky this chains continue: the new ncurses needs a newer libc, the
newer libc needs a newer GCC (perhaps even one of the inofficial
snapshots :) ), ...) And this basically means that I would have probably
to wait for some months till a cdrom is out with these new ones :(
I'm not complaining, just a bit of thought. (Especially, there is nothing
mentioned in the README/INSTALL/... files :((( ) I'm usually running
``quite new'' stuff, but the libc/gcc somehow scares me to hell :(

Additionally, procps 0.99 did not only have problems with ncurses (this
was the last of series of bugs/problems.) but I also applied some
patches, to fix the <asm/string.h> dependency, to fix the generation of
signames.h

While I can understand how it came to the ncurses problem, the others are
harder to explain:
1) __strtok: Hmmm, perhaps the maintainer uses a newer lib/gcc/kernel?
2) signames.h: Only to explain by not doing a make after a make clean, or do
I miss something?

Again, I'm not really complaining, as I got my procps finally to compile.

Andreas

--
Andreas Kostyrka
Email: andreas@medman.ag.or.at