Re: Identifying IDE chipset

Ulrich Windl (Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de)
Mon, 19 Feb 1996 16:26:15 +0100

On 19 Feb 96 at 9:12, Jochen F. Toppe wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Feb 1996, Ulrich Windl wrote:

[...]
> > detect that CMD640 is present? That would mean that CMD640 is already
> > in the driver!
> >

> Well, one would probably have to compile support for
> every driver into the kernel, right? Or at least routines for
> probing. If one does this for every device, talking about a bloated
> kernel here.. Anyhow, I guess it's going to happen with all the PnP
> stuff currently being developed anyways??

PnP means you plug in your brandnew card and hope that your brandnew
operating system will recognize it. For Linux that means that we need
a discovery library for devices (PCI is one possibility). Comparing
the results of device discovery with the currently configured devices
(/proc/devices) would then determine the driver that you probably
don't have. If you feed in that information to the Linux
configuration script (or some kerneld) you get a adapted Linux (or a
loaded module (if already present))

able to recognize all new cards. That might have been almost true
when Windows 95 came out, but now even Windows 95 has a problem.

I'm already happy when I don't have to open the box to change some
jumpers (that's really playing). If you know what's in your box, you
can configure Linux correctly.

Ulrich