Re: Identifying IDE chipset

Dan Janowski (danj@netcom.com)
Sat, 17 Feb 1996 23:16:32 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 16 Feb 1996, Snow Cat wrote:

> I noticed that recent Linux kernels give up an option of including support
> for different chipsets (like CMD640). I think it would be nice if the kernel
> printed which chipsets the PC does have at bootup so that next time people
> can compile support for these chipsets only. What do you think?
> --
> Snow ^oo^ Cat <snowcat@math.CSUFresno.EDU>
> _ -> <- aka Oleg Kibirev <oleg@math.CSUFresno.EDU>

It seems that this involves the issue of hardware probing and
inventory during the configuration process. Most of the other
UNIXes do an auto probe kind of action when rebuilding the kernel.
Most of the time the kernel is being built for same-system use, so
probing would work most of the time. There would need to be a
mechanism for building kernels for other machines. How to do
probing? That's the question I guess.

Dan

--
danj@netcom.com