Re: Docs on using kerneld?

Tony Nugent (tonyn@sctnugen.ppp.gu.edu.au)
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 23:17:44 +1000

Jack Y. Duan <jduan@nickel.ucs.indiana.edu> wrote on Thu, 15 Feb 1996:

> I am very confused on how to use kerneld? Even after I installed
> Modules-tool 1.3.57, I still missing /etc/conf.modules, and none of my
> modules are precessed by kerneld automatically. Please point me to the
> right direction to find the doc, or howto, for this subject,

Disclaimer: I'm no guru on the subject, so disclaimers apply :)

Configure your kernel with modules versioning enabled, and _don't_
compile in any of the drivers unless you need them right at bootup or
if you need to use them all the time.

After making the kernel, do a `make modules' then a `make
modules_install'.

Then run `depmod -a' which will set up the /lib/1.x.x/modules.dep file
for you (where 1.x.x refers to the kernel version).

You have to set up /etc/conf.modules on your own, but the docs with
the modules package has all the information you need to do this.
(Heck, that's how I did it so it mustn't be too hard :)

Set up your /etc/rc.d/rc.* scripts to run /sbin/kerneld during bootup.
I've seen mention of some people running `depmod -a' from there as
well; probably a good idea (eg, if you run multiple kernels).

That's basically all there is to it. The kerneld daemon will look
after the loading and unloading of modules automagically for you.

Examples:

I use ppp a lot, but I _didn't_ compile it into my kernel. When I run
pppd, I don't have to worry about loading the slhc.o or ppp.o drivers,
as kerneld detects that it's needed and does it for me. It also knows
which modules also need to be loaded as dependencies, which is really
nice too. After pppd finishes, kerneld detects this too, and unloads
the unused modules.

I also don't have my line printer driver compiled into the kernel.
But whenever I use it with the lpr command, kerneld loads the lp.o
module for me (and unloads it again afterwards).

Neat! :-) Great utility...

BTW, for those interested: I've almost finished a patch for using
kerneld 1.3.57 in the 1.2.13 kernel (so that it will actually compile
and work just as well as it does in the latest 1.3.x kernels).

Enjoy!

Cheers
Tony
T.Nugent@sct.gu.edu.au tonyn@sctnugen.ppp.gu.edu.au
Brisbane Queensland Australia
There's a great power in words,
it you don't hitch too many of them together.
-- Josh Billings