Re: Bug or feature? No EOF on /proc/xxx/fd/x

Jon Hamilton (hamilton@mixcom.com)
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 19:07:01 -0600

In message <96Feb13.163248est.128315-28017+1050@vger.rutgers.edu>, Luca Berra w
rites:

>Marc said:

>> > Hi guys & gals:
>> >
>> > I've recently run into the following mysterious problem: 'make' seems to
>> > be broken when I'm running 1.3.x, but works fine under 1.2.13.
>> >
>> > Whenever I try to run it, I get the following message:
>> >
>> > make: *** No rule to make tarket 'all'. Stop.
>> >
>> > (replace 'all' with whatever it is I need to make)
>> >
>... ...
>> I noticed this error when I upgraded to libc 5.2.18 (I upgraded
>> specifically for Java)
>... ...
>
>It is _clearly_ stated in the 'release.libc-5.2.18' file that GNU make
>previously worked due to a bug in libc, the patch is included in
>the very file.

That's true, but it refers to a different problem.

>#ifdef FLAME_MODE
>Please *RTFM* ( and that means READ THE FUCKING MANUALS ) before
>posting idiot question to this list or anywhere else.
>#else
>sorry for that, guys
>#endif /* FLAME_MODE */

That's all well and good, but it seems to me a rather unfortunate choice to
package the release notes and the package seperately. It's no wonder lots
of folks miss it; it's not even nearby in the directory listing - it could
at least be called libc-5.2.18.README or libc-5.2.18.RELEASE_NOTES or something
so it'd actually catch your attention. I've cc:d H.J. to ensure that he
sees this; it's something that's bothered me for some time.

That said, it'd _also_ be nice if folks would read the mailing list for a
while before posting to it. This (and similar) questions have been
asked and answered repeatedly in the past month or two.

--
     Jon Hamilton  hamilton@mixcom.com | hamilton@cs.iastate.edu
 There's plenty of youth around, what we need is a fountain of _smart_.