Re: hpfs module and kernel built-in hpfs both active ?

Bjorn Ekwall (bj0rn@blox.se)
Tue, 7 Nov 1995 23:43:52 +0100 (MET)

Michael, you found a glitch in the module support for file systems!
None of the modularized filesystems check the return value
from "register_filesystem"... They should...

You wrote:

[..]

> It happend to me, that when I booted the kernels with all filesystems BUILT-IN,
> this script 'rc.module' naturally found the corresponding modules for the
> relevant kernel version as well, and loaded them SUCCESSFULLY with modprobe!!!
> At least lsmod showed all modules as loaded.
>
> Here my questions for the experts:
>
> - Does it make any harm to my filesystems when I do have a filesystem build
> into the kernel and ADDITIONALLY load a module with the very same filesystem?
> Do they interfere ?
> BTW, this is possible with SCSI support (e.g. st.o), as well.

No actual harm done, since the filesystems, when loaded as modules,
weren't really registred! The function "register_filesystem" (ought to have)
returned -EBUSY, so the only result was some wasted kernel memory :-(

> - Doesn't modprobe check, if filesystems or other drivers are already supported
> by the kernel ?

No, that's the responsibility of the individual module.

> - Ok, I use rmmod in the meantime, because I don't want to waste memory as
> well. But, is there a way to find out at BOOT TIME, IF a filesystem is
> already BUILT INTO the booting kernel ???

/proc/filesystems
Another solution is to use kerneld, which would never have loaded
the file system modules in the first place (plug, plug, plug :-) )

Bjorn <bj0rn@blox.se>