Re: modules

Juha Virtanen (jiivee@hut.fi)
Mon, 18 Sep 1995 10:07:12 +0300 (EET DST)

On Sun, 17 Sep 1995, Andrew Tristan wrote:

> Call me a traditionalist if you must, but the idea of having /bin/sh
> with all this junk built into it is Not the Right Thing to Do. I always
> build two copies of bash, one kitchen-sink version and one minimal
> version. The only time I use the bloated, kitchen-sink version is to
> set up module dependencies.

The same is also true with Linux kernel module compilation as
well. It assumes that /bin/sh is bash.

I use ash as /bin/sh because it is simpler and much smaller than
bash. It is not bugfree what comes to really complex (read: some
GNU package's Configure scripts) shell scripts, but works very
well in normal situations.

Juha