Re: modules

Andrew Tristan (andrew@babylon.riverside.ca.us)
Sun, 17 Sep 1995 10:32:39 -0700 (PDT)

Ricky Beam writes:

> Note to the modutils maintainer(s), put the -[z][Z] options back in there.
> And I'll like to see the -F option: f*ck it, load the module, resolve what
> you can, strip the version information and get on with it, warn where ever
> necessary.

While we're complaining about modutils: it took me a long time to figure
out that 'depmod -a' depends on having a /bin/sh that knows how to deal
with csh-type string expansion (with {}). After hours of screwing with
it I finally strace'd depmod and got things like:
access("/linux/modules/*.{mod,o}", 4) = -1 (No such file or directory)
Ohhhh...

Call me a traditionalist if you must, but the idea of having /bin/sh
with all this junk built into it is Not the Right Thing to Do. I always
build two copies of bash, one kitchen-sink version and one minimal
version. The only time I use the bloated, kitchen-sink version is to
set up module dependencies.

There, I feel better.

--
Andrew Tristan                       No one shall drive us out of the
andrew@babylon.riverside.ca.us       paradise that Cantor has created.