Re: [doughera@lafcol.lafayette.edu: Re: Perl 5.001/Linux ELF pipe.t error test 7]

Bart Schuller (P.B.Schuller@WI.LeidenUniv.NL)
Tue, 18 Jul 1995 12:34:20 +0200 (MET DST)

> On Mon, 17 Jul 1995, Frank Bennett wrote:
> > I've just compiled Perl 5.001 under Linux 1.3.8, using GCC 2.7.0
> > and version 5.0.9 of libc.
> >
> > The compilation went smoothly, but I get one failed test, the 7th
> > test in pipe.t. (It looks like maybe this tests whether Perl will
> > be able to provide error handling for a broken pipe condition
> > (?).)
>
> The problem is (apparently) that Linux uses more than one signal name for
> a specific signal number. I don't know if this is just for the 1.3.x
> series of kernels or not, but it appears to be a recent change. I'm also

No it isn't. I already reported this to perl5-porters.
The problem is that the signal names are defined in a different include
file since somewhere in the 1.3.x kernel series.

The fix is to change a bit of the perl Configure script to read

echo "Generating a list of signal names..." >&4
xxx=`./findhdr signal.h`" "`./findhdr sys/signal.h`
xxx="$xxx "`./findhdr linux/signal.h`" "`./findhdr asm/signal.h`
this is new

--
Bart      talk: schuller@acme.wi.leidenuniv.nl
Schuller   WWW: http://www.wi.leidenuniv.nl/~schuller/