Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #105

Chris Adams (cadams@HiWAAY.net)
Wed, 5 Jul 1995 21:20:36 -0500 (CDT)

To: eric@aib.com, linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #105

In article <9507051221.ZM16208@aib.com> you write:
>>> In that case, my vote would change to having a configuration option for
>>> this, with the default being set to initially mount read-only.
>>
>>There already exists such an option in lilo, which makes the patch
>>unnecessary (I always just use 'make zlilo' and it works without problem).
>
> Actually, I would like a configuration option for this too.
>I frequently boot test kernels from floppies, and I am not using lilo
>in this case, so I always have to remember to use rdev to set the
>mount status. If I ever forget, the rc scripts get kind of confused.

Well, arch/i386/bootsect.S already has

#ifndef CONFIG_ROOT_RDONLY
#define CONFIG_ROOT_RDONLY 0

so I imagine that changing this to a 1 would make it read-only. Or, you
could add a "-DCONFIG_ROOT_RDONLY=1" or something. I don't see why the
define in bootsect.S couldn't just be changed to 1.

--
Chris Adams - cadams@HiWAAY.net
Simulations Director & Team Leader