Re: 1.3.3 Compiled but having temrinal probs :(

dholland@husc.harvard.edu
Thu, 29 Jun 1995 00:05:13 -0400 (EDT)

> Randy Chapman once wrote:
> >
> > Yes, there was a real reason. Unless we want to become like dos/windows,
> > minor changes that break things will happen once in a while. This change
> > has the real advantage of making things simpler and of finally perhaps
> > making it possible that other vendors will finally support the linux
> > console.
>
> If we don't want to become DOS/Windows though, why is our kernel setting
> environment variables? Looks so simular to COMSPEC=C:\COMMAND.COM :)
>
> Anyway, the problem is that people can't change their terminal
> settings without recompiling the kernel. There should be a
> configuration file, like /etc/initenv to specify initial settings,
> like PATH, ARCH, TERM and so on. Most systems except linux are
> doing just that.

Funny you should say that.

chrysoprase% echo $TERM
linux

chrysoprase% uname -a
Linux chrysoprase 1.1.82 #1 Thu Jan 19 20:28:20 EST 1995 i386

Hmm... guess it can't be built into the kernel then, can it...

chrysoprase% more /etc/inittab
tty2:linux:/sbin/agetty 9600 tty2
[etc]

chrysoprase% ls -l /etc/inittab
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 238 Dec 28 1994 /etc/inittab

And this machine is a piece of crud that's never worked on, much less
updated. You must have quite the inferior setup.

--
   - David A. Holland             | Peer pressure (n.): The force from the
     dholland@husc.harvard.edu    | eyeballs of everybody watching you.