Re: [GIT PULL] EDAC updates for v6.9

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Tue Mar 12 2024 - 05:30:57 EST

On Tue, Mar 12, 2024 at 10:16:10AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> If you mean forcing CONFIG_SMP via 'select SMP' on x86 on the other
> hand, that's worth considering

Yeah, that.

> - although I think there will be a ton of extra cross-build breakage
> as most patches still get created & tested on x86.

I wanna say "this better be build-tested on the target architecture too"
but I can certainly see the use case of having to cross-build a UP
config.

> I think the most viable approach would be to make SMP the only model
> all across the kernel (and eventually removing the CONFIG_SMP option),
> while propagating UP data structures and locking primitives to the UP
> arch level, instead of having CONFIG_SMP #ifdefs in generic code.

Right, UP is a SMP machine with only 1 CPU. It should just work. :-P

> Maybe not today, but certainly in a few years.

It makes sense to aim for such a model, yap. Let's do it.

Thx.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.