Re: [GIT PULL] EDAC updates for v6.9

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Mar 12 2024 - 05:16:49 EST

* Borislav Petkov <bp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 11, 2024 at 06:12:54PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > Ho humm. Lookie here:
> >
> > static inline unsigned int topology_amd_nodes_per_pkg(void)
> > { return 0; };
> >
> > that's the UP case.
> >
> > Yeah, I'm assuming nobody tests this for UP,
>
> Unless it gets randomly enabled in my randconfig builds once in a blue
> moon, I'd say pretty seldomly. I've heard people raise the question
> multiple times whether we should simply make CONFIG_SMP default y on x86
> and frankly, it'll get rid of a whole bunch of stupid corner cases like
> that...

Making it 'default y' in the Kconfig alone changes very little, as people &
bots will still stumble on !SMP via allnoconfig or randconfig builds.

If you mean forcing CONFIG_SMP via 'select SMP' on x86 on the other hand,
that's worth considering - although I think there will be a ton of extra
cross-build breakage as most patches still get created & tested on x86.

In other words, the x86 UP build basically has the side-effect utility of
covering a lot of UP cross-build scenarios in generic code.

I think the most viable approach would be to make SMP the only model all
across the kernel (and eventually removing the CONFIG_SMP option), while
propagating UP data structures and locking primitives to the UP arch level,
instead of having CONFIG_SMP #ifdefs in generic code.

Maybe not today, but certainly in a few years.

Thanks,

Ingo