Re: Prebuilt LLVM 18.1.0-rc2 uploaded

From: Nathan Chancellor
Date: Mon Feb 12 2024 - 18:48:59 EST

Hi Miguel,

On Sat, Feb 10, 2024 at 05:36:01PM +0100, Miguel Ojeda wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 8, 2024 at 1:28 AM Nathan Chancellor <nathan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > I have built and uploaded a prebuilt version of LLVM 18.1.0-rc2 to
> > https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/tools/llvm/.
> >
> > As with Linux -rc releases, this is not the final version that will
> > ship. If you run across any issues, especially ones that were not
> > present in earlier LLVM releases, please consider reporting them to us
> > so that we have a chance to investigate and fix them before the final
> > release.
>
> I took a look at the LLVM 18 prerelease to see if these would work
> with Rust for e.g. CI and other users (instead of using the
> LLVM-provided apt ones, for instance), and noticed it does not bundle
> `libclang.so`.
>
> Would it be possible to include it so that we can use `bindgen` and
> thus enable Rust with them?
>
> I understand they are intended to be minimal toolchains, but if you
> think it would not be an unreasonable overhead, then it would be great
> to have it.

Absolutely, I am more than happy to include libclang.so and anything
else that would be useful for the kernel. Everything gets built but I
only install what has felt needed for the kernel, so there is no real
overhead aside from package size, which obviously should not increase
much with this change. I've added the targets to my build scripts and
kicked off a set of builds. If they finish successfully, I will upload
them so that you can test them out and make sure they will work.

Thanks for bringing this up and giving them a go, cheers!
Nathan