Re: [linus:master] [eventfs] 852e46e239: BUG:unable_to_handle_page_fault_for_address

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jan 30 2024 - 11:52:21 EST

On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 at 06:39, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2024 01:12:05 -0800
> >
> > I suspect the solution is to make eventfs_create_dir() do the same as
> > the events directory case does, and actually pin the directory dentry
> > and save it off.
>
> I rather not have the create do that because that happens for every event
> directory.

I wasn't thinking straight yesterday - the real fix is to just do a
"d_revalidate()". It's literally why that thing exists: check whether
a dentry is still valid.

In fact, that trivially gets rid of the 'events' subdirectory issues
too, so we can stop doing that horrendous simple_recursive_removal()
too.

Let me reboot into the trivial fix. I just needed to think about this
the right way.

None of this is anything that the VFS layer has any problems with.

Linus