Re: [btrfs] commit bc27d6f0aa0e4de184b617aceeaf25818cc646de breaks update-grub

From: Thorsten Leemhuis
Date: Thu Jan 11 2024 - 06:46:12 EST

[Adding Anand Jain, the author of the culprit to the list of recipients;
furthermore CCing the the Btrfs maintainers and the btrfs list; also
CCing regression list, as it should be in the loop for regressions:
https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/reporting-regressions.html]

On 08.01.24 15:11, Alex Romosan wrote:
> Please Cc me as I am not subscribed to the list.
>
> Running my own compiled kernel without initramfs on a lenovo thinkpad
> x1 carbon gen 7.
>
> Since version 6.7-rc1 i haven't been able to to a grub-update,
>
> instead i get this error:
>
> grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev mounted?) solid
> state drive
>
> 6.6 was the last version that worked.
>
> Today I did a git-bisect between these two versions which identified
> commit bc27d6f0aa0e4de184b617aceeaf25818cc646de btrfs: scan but don't
> register device on single device filesystem as the culprit. reverting
> this commit from 6.7 final allowed me to run update-grub again.
>
> not sure if this is the intended behavior or if i'm missing some other
> kernel options. any help/fixes would be appreciated.
>
> thank you.

Thanks for the report. To be sure the issue doesn't fall through the
cracks unnoticed, I'm adding it to regzbot, the Linux kernel regression
tracking bot:

#regzbot ^introduced bc27d6f0aa0e4de184b617aceeaf25818cc646de
#regzbot title btrfs: update-grub broken (cannot find a device for / (is
/dev mounted?))
#regzbot ignore-activity

This isn't a regression? This issue or a fix for it are already
discussed somewhere else? It was fixed already? You want to clarify when
the regression started to happen? Or point out I got the title or
something else totally wrong? Then just reply and tell me -- ideally
while also telling regzbot about it, as explained by the page listed in
the footer of this mail.

Developers: When fixing the issue, remember to add 'Link:' tags pointing
to the report (the parent of this mail). See page linked in footer for
details.

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
That page also explains what to do if mails like this annoy you.