Re: [syzbot] [crypto?] general protection fault in scatterwalk_copychunks (5)

From: Barry Song
Date: Wed Dec 27 2023 - 20:48:09 EST

On Thu, Dec 28, 2023 at 9:43 AM Barry Song <21cnbao@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 28, 2023 at 7:26 AM Nhat Pham <nphamcs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 27, 2023 at 3:10 AM Barry Song <21cnbao@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Fine by me. Hmm we're basically wasting one extra page per CPU (since
> > these buffers are per-CPU), correct? That's not ideal, but not *too*
> > bad for now I suppose...
> >

> > > I agree. we need some doc.
> > >
> > > besides, i actually think we can skip zswap frontend if
> > > over-compression is really
> > > happening.
> >
> > IIUC, zsmalloc already checked that - and most people are (or should
> > be) using zsmalloc for zswap anyway. I wouldn't be opposed to adding
> > an added layer of protection on the zswap side, but not super high
> > priority I'd say.
>
> Thanks for this info. I guess you mean the below ?
> unsigned long zs_malloc(struct zs_pool *pool, size_t size, gfp_t gfp)
> {
>
> if (unlikely(!size || size > ZS_MAX_ALLOC_SIZE))
> return (unsigned long)ERR_PTR(-EINVAL);

BTW, do you think zsmalloc is worth a patch to change the ret from
EINVAL to ENOSPC?
This seems more sensible and matches the behaviour of zswap, and zbud, z3fold.

ret = zpool_malloc(zpool, dlen, gfp, &handle);
if (ret == -ENOSPC) {
zswap_reject_compress_poor++;
goto put_dstmem;
}
if (ret) {
zswap_reject_alloc_fail++;
goto put_dstmem;
}
buf = z

> }
>
> i find zbud also has similar code:
> static int zbud_alloc(struct zbud_pool *pool, size_t size, gfp_t gfp,
> unsigned long *handle)
> {
> int chunks, i, freechunks;
> struct zbud_header *zhdr = NULL;
> enum buddy bud;
> struct page *page;
>
> if (!size || (gfp & __GFP_HIGHMEM))
> return -EINVAL;
> if (size > PAGE_SIZE - ZHDR_SIZE_ALIGNED - CHUNK_SIZE)
> return -ENOSPC;
>
> and z3fold,
>
> static int z3fold_alloc(struct z3fold_pool *pool, size_t size, gfp_t gfp,
> unsigned long *handle)
> {
> int chunks = size_to_chunks(size);
> struct z3fold_header *zhdr = NULL;
> struct page *page = NULL;
> enum buddy bud;
> bool can_sleep = gfpflags_allow_blocking(gfp);
>
> if (!size || (gfp & __GFP_HIGHMEM))
> return -EINVAL;
>
> if (size > PAGE_SIZE)
> return -ENOSPC;
>

> Thus, I agree that another layer to check size in zswap isn't necessary now.

Thanks
Barry