Re: [syzbot] [crypto?] general protection fault in scatterwalk_copychunks (5)

From: Barry Song
Date: Wed Dec 27 2023 - 20:46:28 EST

On Thu, Dec 28, 2023 at 7:26 AM Nhat Pham <nphamcs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 27, 2023 at 3:10 AM Barry Song <21cnbao@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 27, 2023 at 5:16 PM Chengming Zhou
> > <zhouchengming@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for your explanation! Maybe it's best for us to return to 2 pages
> > > if no other people's comments. And this really need more documentation :-)
>
> Fine by me. Hmm we're basically wasting one extra page per CPU (since
> these buffers are per-CPU), correct? That's not ideal, but not *too*
> bad for now I suppose...
>

> > I agree. we need some doc.
> >
> > besides, i actually think we can skip zswap frontend if
> > over-compression is really
> > happening.
>
> IIUC, zsmalloc already checked that - and most people are (or should
> be) using zsmalloc for zswap anyway. I wouldn't be opposed to adding
> an added layer of protection on the zswap side, but not super high
> priority I'd say.

Thanks for this info. I guess you mean the below ?
unsigned long zs_malloc(struct zs_pool *pool, size_t size, gfp_t gfp)
{

if (unlikely(!size || size > ZS_MAX_ALLOC_SIZE))
return (unsigned long)ERR_PTR(-EINVAL);

}

i find zbud also has similar code:
static int zbud_alloc(struct zbud_pool *pool, size_t size, gfp_t gfp,
unsigned long *handle)
{
int chunks, i, freechunks;
struct zbud_header *zhdr = NULL;
enum buddy bud;
struct page *page;

if (!size || (gfp & __GFP_HIGHMEM))
return -EINVAL;
if (size > PAGE_SIZE - ZHDR_SIZE_ALIGNED - CHUNK_SIZE)
return -ENOSPC;

and z3fold,

static int z3fold_alloc(struct z3fold_pool *pool, size_t size, gfp_t gfp,
unsigned long *handle)
{
int chunks = size_to_chunks(size);
struct z3fold_header *zhdr = NULL;
struct page *page = NULL;
enum buddy bud;
bool can_sleep = gfpflags_allow_blocking(gfp);

if (!size || (gfp & __GFP_HIGHMEM))
return -EINVAL;

if (size > PAGE_SIZE)
return -ENOSPC;

Thus, I agree that another layer to check size in zswap isn't necessary now.

Thanks
Barry