Re: Failed to start Raise network interfaces error

From: Julia Lawall
Date: Tue Dec 12 2023 - 09:46:06 EST

On Sun, 10 Dec 2023, Julia Lawall wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Starting with the commit:
>
> commit 9e479d64dc58f11792f638ea2e8eff3304edaabf
> Author: Ivan Vecera <ivecera@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri Oct 13 19:07:51 2023 +0200
>
> i40e: Add initial devlink support
>
> I am not able to boot normally. The console shows the message
>
> Failed to start Raise network interfaces
>
> Searching for this message on th internet produces some old discussions
> that suggest to look at the file /etc/network/interfaces. That file on my
> system contains:
>
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto enp24s0f0
> iface enp24s0f0 inet dhcp
>
> -------------------------------
>
> The machine in question is part of a cluster, and may be set up in a
> specific way. It actually does boot, in the sense that I get a
> login prompt, but it doesn't seem to be reachable from the outside.
>
> The above failure message is followed by a message about the inability to
> retrieve a file that is part of the local setup process. I can find out
> more about what is supposed to be done with this file.
>
> Please let me know if there is any further information I can provide.

After some invetigation, it seems that the machine boots, but has no
access to the network. And indeed, the information about the network for
this machine says:

eth0/enp24s0f0, Ethernet, configured rate: 10 Gbps, model: Intel Ethernet
Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+, driver: i40e

All is fine on another machine in the same infrastructure that has a
different networking configuration:

eth0/eno1, Ethernet, configured rate: 25 Gbps, model: Mellanox
Technologies MT27710 Family [ConnectX-4 Lx], driver: mlx5_core, SR-IOV
enabled
eth1/eno2, Ethernet, configured rate: 25 Gbps, model: Mellanox
Technologies MT27710 Family [ConnectX-4 Lx], driver: mlx5_core, SR-IOV
enabled

thanks,
julia