Re: [REGRESSION] Perf (userspace) broken on big.LITTLE systems since v6.5

From: Ian Rogers
Date: Tue Nov 21 2023 - 11:03:33 EST

On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 7:56 AM Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 21, 2023 at 07:41:17AM -0800, Ian Rogers wrote:
> > Hi Marc,
>
> Hi Ian,
>
> > I'm unclear if you are running a newer perf tool on an older kernel or
> > not. In any case I'll assume the kernel and perf tool versions match.
> > In Linux 6.6 this patch was added to the ARM PMU:
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/drivers/perf/arm_pmu.c?id=5c816728651ae425954542fed64d21d40cb75a9f
> >
> > My guess is that the apple_icestorm_pmu requires a similar patch.
>
> The apple_icestorm_pmu PMU driver uses the arm_pmu framework, so it's using
> that code (since v6.6).
>
> > The perf tool is supposed to not use extended types when they aren't
> > supported:
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/perf/perf-tools-next.git/tree/tools/perf/util/pmus.c?h=perf-tools-next#n532
>
> How does that is_event_supported() check actually work? I suspect that's giving
> the wrong answer.

Maybe, the implementation is to check using perf_event_open:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/perf/perf-tools-next.git/tree/tools/perf/util/print-events.c?h=perf-tools-next#n232

This is recycling logic from perf list where many legacy cache events
are elided due to a lack of support.

> Regardless, I think the tool is doing something semantically wrong, see below.
>
> > So I share your confusion as to why something broke.
> >
> > PERF_TYPE_HARDWARE is a legacy type where there are hardcoded type and
> > config values that correspond to an event. The PMU driver turns legacy
> > events into the real types. On BIG.little systems if the legacy events
> > are monitoring a task a different event is needed for each PMU (ie >1
> > event). In your example you are monitoring 'ls', a task, and so
> > different cycles events are necessary. In the high 32-bits (the
> > extended type) the PMU is identified.
>
> I think the interesting thing here is that the tool is mapping events with an
> explicit PMU into legacy PERF_TYPE_HARDWARE events, which is the opposite
> direction than intended. Regardless of whether PERF_TYPE_HARDWARE events can be
> targetted to a specific PMU, if the user has requested to use a specific PMU we
> should be using that PMU and related event namespace.
>
> Marc's command line was:
>
> sudo taskset -c 0 ./perf stat -vvv \
> -e apple_icestorm_pmu/cycles/ \
> -e apple_firestorm_pmu/cycles/ \
> -e cycles \

-e cycles here is a direct request for the legacy cycles event. It
will match in the parser here:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/perf/perf-tools-next.git/tree/tools/perf/util/parse-events.l?h=perf-tools-next#n301

which goes to:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/perf/perf-tools-next.git/tree/tools/perf/util/parse-events.y?h=perf-tools-next#n397

and as this is a hardware event there is wildcard expansion on each core PMU.

Thanks,
Ian