Re: [RFC v1 0/8] vhost-vdpa: add support for iommufd

From: Jason Gunthorpe
Date: Tue Nov 07 2023 - 09:12:46 EST

On Tue, Nov 07, 2023 at 08:28:32AM -0500, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2023 at 08:49:02AM -0400, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> > > What kind of problems? Understanding that will make it easier
> > > to figure out whether this is worth reviewing.
> >
> > IMHO, this patch series needs to spend more time internally to Red Hat
> > before it is presented to the community. It is too far away from
> > something worth reviewing at this point.
> >
> > Jason
>
> I am always trying to convince people to post RFCs early
> instead of working for months behind closed doors only
> to be told to rewrite everything in Rust.

The community has a limited review bandwidth, things should meet a
minimum standard before there is an expectation that other people
should review it on the list.

> Why does it have to be internal to a specific company?
> I see Yi Liu from Intel is helping Cindy get it into shape
> and that's classic open source ethos.

Big company's should take the responsibility to train and provide
skill development for their own staff.

> I know some subsystems ignore the RFC tag but I didn't realize
> iommu is one of these. Is that really true?

At least I've looked at this twice now and been disappointed. Neither
have been a well thought out RFC, this is a brain dump of unfinished
work.

Jason