Re: [RFC v1 0/8] vhost-vdpa: add support for iommufd

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Date: Tue Nov 07 2023 - 08:29:29 EST

On Tue, Nov 07, 2023 at 08:49:02AM -0400, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2023 at 02:30:34AM -0500, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 04, 2023 at 01:16:33AM +0800, Cindy Lu wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi All
> > > This code provides the iommufd support for vdpa device
> > > This code fixes the bugs from the last version and also add the asid support. rebase on kernel
> > > v6,6-rc3
> > > Test passed in the physical device (vp_vdpa), but there are still some problems in the emulated device (vdpa_sim_net),
> >
> > What kind of problems? Understanding that will make it easier
> > to figure out whether this is worth reviewing.
>
> IMHO, this patch series needs to spend more time internally to Red Hat
> before it is presented to the community. It is too far away from
> something worth reviewing at this point.
>
> Jason

I am always trying to convince people to post RFCs early
instead of working for months behind closed doors only
to be told to rewrite everything in Rust.

Why does it have to be internal to a specific company?
I see Yi Liu from Intel is helping Cindy get it into shape
and that's classic open source ethos.

I know some subsystems ignore the RFC tag but I didn't realize
iommu is one of these. Is that really true?

--
MST