Re: [RFC] mtd: Fix error code loss in mtdchar_read() function.

From: ZhaoLong Wang
Date: Mon Sep 25 2023 - 10:22:19 EST

There is this comment right above, and I'm not sure it is still up to
date because I believe many drivers just don't provide the data upon
ECC error:

After observing the nand_base framework code, I think the current nand_base
framework can limit the length of retlen to 0 when an ECC error occurs. The
prerequisite is that the NAND driver development personnel can correctly provide
the return value of the function according to the requirements of the chip->ecc.read_page()
callback.

However, the read_page() callback comment does not notice the particularity of the
following two error codes:

* -EUCLEAN - Returned by the MTD layer when maxbitflips greater then bitflip_threshold
* -EBADMSG - Returned by NAND Generic Layer when the statistical ECC error stats
                         changes and the number of retries is exhausted.

These two error codes are handled by the upper layer and should not be returned by the
NAND driver developer. But some driver developers don't realize this.

So I don't think it's worth fixing right now, but is the description of the return value of the
callback too simplistic? Is there any other more detailed description document for reference?