Re: dma_map_resource() has a bad performance in pcie peer to peer transactions when iommu enabled in Linux

From: Kelly Devilliv
Date: Mon Sep 25 2023 - 10:17:30 EST

> On 2023-09-25 04:59, Kelly Devilliv wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I am working on an ARM-V8 server with two gpu cards on it. Recently, I need
> to test pcie peer to peer communication between the two gpu cards, but the
> throughput is only 4GB/s.
> >
> > After I explored the gpu's kernel mode driver, I found it was using the
> dma_map_resource() API to map the peer device's MMIO space. The arm
> iommu driver then will hardcode a 'IOMMU_MMIO' prot in the later dma map:
> >
> > static dma_addr_t iommu_dma_map_resource(struct device *dev,
> phys_addr_t phys,
> > size_t size, enum dma_data_direction
> dir, unsigned long attrs)
> > {
> > return __iommu_dma_map(dev, phys, size,
> > dma_info_to_prot(dir, false,
> attrs) | IOMMU_MMIO,
> > dma_get_mask(dev));
> > }
> >
> > And that will finally set the 'ARM_LPAE_PTE_MEMATTR_DEV' attribute in PTE,
> which may have a negative impact on the performance of the pcie peer to peer
> transactions.
> >
> > /*
> > * Note that this logic is structured to accommodate Mali LPAE
> > * having stage-1-like attributes but stage-2-like permissions.
> > */
> > if (data->iop.fmt == ARM_64_LPAE_S2 ||
> > data->iop.fmt == ARM_32_LPAE_S2) {
> > if (prot & IOMMU_MMIO)
> > pte |= ARM_LPAE_PTE_MEMATTR_DEV;
> > else if (prot & IOMMU_CACHE)
> > pte |= ARM_LPAE_PTE_MEMATTR_OIWB;
> > else
> > pte |= ARM_LPAE_PTE_MEMATTR_NC;
> > } else {
> > if (prot & IOMMU_MMIO)
> > pte |= (ARM_LPAE_MAIR_ATTR_IDX_DEV
> > << ARM_LPAE_PTE_ATTRINDX_SHIFT);
> > else if (prot & IOMMU_CACHE)
> > pte |= (ARM_LPAE_MAIR_ATTR_IDX_CACHE
> > << ARM_LPAE_PTE_ATTRINDX_SHIFT);
> > }
> >
> > I tried to remove the 'IOMMU_MMIO' prot in the dma_map_resource() API
> and re-compile the linux kernel, the throughput then can be up to 28GB/s.
> >
> > Is there an elegant way to solve this issue without modifying the linux kernel?
> e.g., a substitution of dma_map_resource() API?
>
> Not really. Other use-cases for dma_map_resource() include DMA offload
> engines accessing FIFO registers, where allowing reordering, write-gathering,
> etc. would be a terrible idea. Thus it needs to assume a "safe" MMIO memory
> type, which on Arm means Device-nGnRE.
>
> However, the "proper" PCI peer-to-peer support under CONFIG_PCI_P2PDMA
> ended up moving away from the dma_map_resource() approach anyway, and
> allows this kind of device memory to be treated more like regular memory (via
> ZONE_DEVICE) rather than arbitrary MMIO resources, so your best bet would
> be to get the GPU driver converted over to using that.

Thanks Robin.
So your suggestion is we'd better work out a new implementation just as what it
does under CONFIG_PCI_P2PDMA instead of just using the dma_map_resource()
API?

I have explored the GPU drivers from AMD, Nvidia and habanalabs, e.g., and found
they all using the dma_map_resource() API to map the peer device's bar address.
If so, is it possible to be a common performance issue in PCI peer-to-peer scenario?