Re: dwc3: unusual handling of setup requests with wLength == 0

From: Thinh Nguyen
Date: Thu Aug 31 2023 - 21:28:16 EST

On Thu, Aug 31, 2023, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 02:43:51AM +0000, Thinh Nguyen wrote:
> > >
> > > That's on the host side, right? How does this affect the gadget side?
> > >
> > > That is, cancelling a transfer on the host doesn't necessarily mean it
> > > has to be cancelled on the gadget. Does it have any implications at all
> > > for the gadget driver?
> >
> > There are 2 things that needs to be in sync'ed between host and device:
> > 1) The data sequence.
>
> You mean the USB-3 sequence number value?

Yes.

> > 2) The transfer.
> >
> > If host doesn't send CLEAR_FEATURE(halt_ep), best case scenario, the
> > data sequence does't match and the host issues usb reset after some
> > timeout because the packet won't go through.
>
> The data toggles in USB-2, which are analogous to the sequence numbers
> in USB-3, don't work the same way. When a USB-2 controller receives a
> data packet with the wrong sequence number, it sends an ACK response but
> otherwise ignores it. This prevents timeouts (but not other types of
> errors).
>
> > Worst case scenario, the
> > data sequence matches 0, and the wrong data is received causing
> > corruption.
> >
> > If the device doesn't cancel the transfer in response to
> > CLEAR_FEATURE(halt_ep), it may send/receive data of a different transfer
> > because the host doesn't resume where it left off, causing corruption.
> >
> > Base on the class protocol, the class driver and gadget driver know
> > what makes up a "transfer" and can appropriately cancel a transfer to
> > stay in sync.
>
> You're still thinking of UAS in particular, right? What I would expect
> to happen when there's a transaction error in a UAS data transfer, based
> on reading the UAS spec, is that the host would cancel the transfer on
> its side and send either an Abort Task or an I_T Nexus Reset task
> management request to the device (in addition to resetting the host
> endpoint and sending a Clear-Halt). I would not expect the host to hope
> that the device would abandon the transfer merely because it got the
> Clear-Halt.
>
> Does Windows really work this way? Does it not send a task management
> request? That would definitely seem to be against the intent of the
> spec, if not against the letter.

Unfortunately yes, I don't see any Task Management request aborting the
transfer.

> > > How does the gadget driver sync with the host if the class protocol
> > > doesn't say what should be done?
> > >
> > > Also, what if there is no active transfer? That is, what if the
> > > transaction that got an error on the host appeared to be successful on
> > > the gadget and it was the last transaction in the final transfer queued
> > > for the endpoint? How would the UDC driver notify the gadget driver in
> > > this situation?
> >
> > That's fine. If there's no active transfer, the gadget doesn't need to
> > cancel anything. As long as the host knows that the transfer did not
> > complete, it can retry and be in sync. For UASP, the host will send a
> > new MSC command to retry the failed transfer. ie. The host would
> > overwrite/re-read the transfer with the same transfer offset.
> >
> > The problem arises if the gadget attempts to resume the incomplete
> > transfer.
>
> Quite so. But would the host send a new MSC retry command before the
> failed command completes?

The host sends a new MSC command after the incomplete command failed.

> > > I don't understand what you're saying here. How can you observe whether
> > > a transfer is cancelled in a consumer UAS device? And how does the
> > > consumer device resync with the host?
> >
> > You can see a hang if the transfer are out of sync. If the transfer
> > isn't cancelled, the device would only source/sink whatever the
> > remaining of the previous transfer but not enough to complete the new
> > transfer. The new transfer is seen as incomplete from host and thus the
> > hang and the usb reset.

> > > Can you post an example? Not necessarily in complete detail, but enough
> > > so that we can see what's going on.

> > > I'll be able to understand this better after seeing an example. Do you
> > > have any traces that were made for a High-speed connection (say, using
> > > a USB-2 cable)? It would probably be easier to follow than a SuperSpeed
> > > example.
> > >

> > Unfortunately I only have LeCroy usb analyzer traces of Gen 2x1, not for
> > usb2 speed. It's a bit tricky converting it to text with all the proper
> > info to see all the context. If my explanation isn't clear, I'll try to
> > figure out how to proceed.
>
> I would appreciate seeing whatever you can provide.

Here's a snippet captured at the SCSI level from Samsung T7 device
response to CLEAR_FEATURE(halt-ep) to IN data endpoint from host
(Windows 10). Similar behavior is observed for OUT endpoint.

_______|_______________________________________________________________________
SCSI Op(80) ADDR(3) Tag(0x0002) SCSI CDB READ(10)
_______| Logical Block Addr(0x0928E800) STATUS(GOOD) Data(524288 bytes)
_______| Time( 1.335 ms) Time Stamp(10 . 000 538 006) Metrics #Xfers(3)
_______|_______________________________________________________________________
SCSI Op(81) ADDR(3) Tag(0x0002) SCSI CDB READ(10)
_______| Logical Block Addr(0x0928EC00) STATUS(GOOD) Data(524288 bytes)
_______| Time( 1.318 ms) Time Stamp(10 . 001 872 988) Metrics #Xfers(3)
_______|_______________________________________________________________________
SCSI Op(82) ADDR(3) Tag(0x0002) SCSI CDB READ(10)
_______| Logical Block Addr(0x0928F000) STATUS(GOOD) Data(524288 bytes)
_______| Time( 1.343 ms) Time Stamp(10 . 003 191 188) Metrics #Xfers(3)
_______|_______________________________________________________________________
SCSI Op(83) ADDR(3) Tag(0x0002) SCSI CDB READ(10)
_______| Logical Block Addr(0x0928F400) STATUS(GOOD) Data(524288 bytes)
_______| Time( 1.256 ms) Time Stamp(10 . 004 534 630) Metrics #Xfers(3)
_______|_______________________________________________________________________
SCSI Op(84) ADDR(3) Tag(0x0002) SCSI CDB READ(10)
_______| Logical Block Addr(0x0928F800) STATUS(GOOD) Data(524288 bytes)
_______| Time( 1.178 ms) Time Stamp(10 . 005 791 128) Metrics #Xfers(3)
_______|_______________________________________________________________________
SCSI Op(85) ADDR(3) Tag(0x0002) SCSI CDB READ(10)
_______| Logical Block Addr(0x0928FC00) Data(146432 bytes) Status(Missing)-BAD
_______| Time( 2.681 ms) Time Stamp(10 . 006 968 662) Metrics #Xfers(2)
_______|_______________________________________________________________________

## Transaction eror occurs here.

Transfer(289) Left("Left") G2(x1) Control(SET) ADDR(3) ENDP(0)
_______| bRequest(CLEAR_FEATURE) wValue(ENDPOINT_HALT) wLength(0)
_______| Time(166.322 us) Time Stamp(10 . 009 649 516)
_______|_______________________________________________________________________

## CLEAR_FEATURE happens here.

SCSI Op(99) ADDR(3) Tag(0x0002) SCSI CDB READ(10)
_______| Logical Block Addr(0x09290000) RESPONSE_CODE(OVERLAPPED TAG)
_______| Time(365.854 us) Time Stamp(10 . 009 815 838) Metrics #Xfers(2)
_______|_______________________________________________________________________
SCSI Op(100) ADDR(3) Tag(0x0002) SCSI CDB READ(10)
_______| Logical Block Addr(0x09290400) STATUS(GOOD) Data(524288 bytes)
_______| Time( 1.012 sec) Time Stamp(10 . 010 181 692) Metrics #Xfers(3)
_______|_______________________________________________________________________
SCSI Op(101) ADDR(3) Tag(0x0002) SCSI CDB READ(10)
_______| Logical Block Addr(0x0928FC00) STATUS(GOOD) Data(524288 bytes)
_______| Time(882.412 us) Time Stamp(11 . 022 469 104) Metrics #Xfers(3)
_______|_______________________________________________________________________

## Host retries transfer here. Check logical block address.

SCSI Op(102) ADDR(3) Tag(0x0002) SCSI CDB READ(10)
_______| Logical Block Addr(0x09290000) STATUS(GOOD) Data(524288 bytes)
_______| Time( 1.060 ms) Time Stamp(11 . 023 351 516) Metrics #Xfers(3)
_______|_______________________________________________________________________
SCSI Op(103) ADDR(3) Tag(0x0002) SCSI CDB READ(10)
_______| Logical Block Addr(0x09290800) STATUS(GOOD) Data(524288 bytes)
_______| Time( 1.013 ms) Time Stamp(11 . 024 411 510) Metrics #Xfers(3)
_______|_______________________________________________________________________
SCSI Op(104) ADDR(3) Tag(0x0002) SCSI CDB READ(10)
_______| Logical Block Addr(0x09290C00) STATUS(GOOD) Data(524288 bytes)
_______| Time(816.594 us) Time Stamp(11 . 025 424 600) Metrics #Xfers(3)
_______|_______________________________________________________________________
SCSI Op(105) ADDR(3) Tag(0x0002) SCSI CDB READ(10)
_______| Logical Block Addr(0x09291000) STATUS(GOOD) Data(524288 bytes)
_______| Time(762.286 us) Time Stamp(11 . 026 241 194) Metrics #Xfers(3)
SCSI Op(106) ADDR(3) Tag(0x0002) SCSI CDB READ(10)
_______| Logical Block Addr(0x09291400) STATUS(GOOD) Data(524288 bytes)
_______| Time(768.696 us) Time Stamp(11 . 027 003 480) Metrics #Xfers(3)

BR,
Thinh