Re: dwc3: unusual handling of setup requests with wLength == 0

From: Alan Stern
Date: Thu Aug 31 2023 - 11:40:46 EST

On Thu, Aug 31, 2023 at 02:43:51AM +0000, Thinh Nguyen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2023, Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 30, 2023 at 01:32:28AM +0000, Thinh Nguyen wrote:
> > > That reminds me another thing, if the host (xhci in this case) does a
> > > hard reset to the endpoint, it also resets the TRB pointer with dequeue
> > > ep command. So, the transfer should not resume. It needs to be
> > > cancelled. This xHCI behavior is the same for Windows and Linux.
> >
> > That's on the host side, right? How does this affect the gadget side?
> >
> > That is, cancelling a transfer on the host doesn't necessarily mean it
> > has to be cancelled on the gadget. Does it have any implications at all
> > for the gadget driver?
>
> There are 2 things that needs to be in sync'ed between host and device:
> 1) The data sequence.

You mean the USB-3 sequence number value?

> 2) The transfer.
>
> If host doesn't send CLEAR_FEATURE(halt_ep), best case scenario, the
> data sequence does't match and the host issues usb reset after some
> timeout because the packet won't go through.

The data toggles in USB-2, which are analogous to the sequence numbers
in USB-3, don't work the same way. When a USB-2 controller receives a
data packet with the wrong sequence number, it sends an ACK response but
otherwise ignores it. This prevents timeouts (but not other types of
errors).

> Worst case scenario, the
> data sequence matches 0, and the wrong data is received causing
> corruption.
>
> If the device doesn't cancel the transfer in response to
> CLEAR_FEATURE(halt_ep), it may send/receive data of a different transfer
> because the host doesn't resume where it left off, causing corruption.
>
> Base on the class protocol, the class driver and gadget driver know
> what makes up a "transfer" and can appropriately cancel a transfer to
> stay in sync.

You're still thinking of UAS in particular, right? What I would expect
to happen when there's a transaction error in a UAS data transfer, based
on reading the UAS spec, is that the host would cancel the transfer on
its side and send either an Abort Task or an I_T Nexus Reset task
management request to the device (in addition to resetting the host
endpoint and sending a Clear-Halt). I would not expect the host to hope
that the device would abandon the transfer merely because it got the
Clear-Halt.

Does Windows really work this way? Does it not send a task management
request? That would definitely seem to be against the intent of the
spec, if not against the letter.

> > How does the gadget driver sync with the host if the class protocol
> > doesn't say what should be done?
> >
> > Also, what if there is no active transfer? That is, what if the
> > transaction that got an error on the host appeared to be successful on
> > the gadget and it was the last transaction in the final transfer queued
> > for the endpoint? How would the UDC driver notify the gadget driver in
> > this situation?
>
> That's fine. If there's no active transfer, the gadget doesn't need to
> cancel anything. As long as the host knows that the transfer did not
> complete, it can retry and be in sync. For UASP, the host will send a
> new MSC command to retry the failed transfer. ie. The host would
> overwrite/re-read the transfer with the same transfer offset.
>
> The problem arises if the gadget attempts to resume the incomplete
> transfer.

Quite so. But would the host send a new MSC retry command before the
failed command completes?

> > > This is observed in
> > > UASP driver in Windows and how various consumer UASP devices handle it.
> >
> > I don't understand what you're saying here. How can you observe whether
> > a transfer is cancelled in a consumer UAS device? And how does the
> > consumer device resync with the host?
>
> You can see a hang if the transfer are out of sync. If the transfer
> isn't cancelled, the device would only source/sink whatever the
> remaining of the previous transfer but not enough to complete the new
> transfer. The new transfer is seen as incomplete from host and thus the
> hang and the usb reset.
>

> > > There no eqivalent of Bulk-Only Mass Storage Reset request from the
> > > class protocol. We still have the USB analyzer traces for this.
> >
> > Can you post an example? Not necessarily in complete detail, but enough
> > so that we can see what's going on.
> >
> > > Regardless whether the class protocol spells out how to handle the
> > > transaction error, if there's transaction error, the host may send
> > > CLEAR_FEATURE(halt_ep) as observed in Windows. The gadget driver needs
> > > to know about it to cancel the active transfer and resync with the host.
> >
> > I'll be able to understand this better after seeing an example. Do you
> > have any traces that were made for a High-speed connection (say, using
> > a USB-2 cable)? It would probably be easier to follow than a SuperSpeed
> > example.
> >

> Unfortunately I only have LeCroy usb analyzer traces of Gen 2x1, not for
> usb2 speed. It's a bit tricky converting it to text with all the proper
> info to see all the context. If my explanation isn't clear, I'll try to
> figure out how to proceed.

I would appreciate seeing whatever you can provide.

Alan Stern