Re: Contributing subsequent patch versions

From: Oscar Megia López
Date: Sun Jul 30 2023 - 03:57:02 EST

Markus Elfring <Markus.Elfring@xxxxxx> writes:

>> Sorry, but my experience says that is very easy make mistakes
>> when I am newbie.
>
> Which kind of errors would you like to produce if you would become
> an “expert” (like a system tester) in additional areas?
>
> Regards,
> Markus

I don't know, but what I've observed during my years working in IT is
that I come up with tests that no one else does. This way I find bugs
that no one else finds.

For example, I forked the project https://github.com/pixel/hexedit and
tried to find errors. I found many, such as what happens if you try to
load a very long filename, what happens if you try to load a very large
file, etc. I fixed them all, but because maintaner didn't accept my
first patch, I didn't carry on.

If anyone is interested in me testing their patch, I would love to do
it. Now I'm reading LINUX KERNEL DEBUGGING book (written by Kaiwan N
Billimoria) and I'm on chapter about strace and some tools like lttng,
so I can use these tools mentioned on book to test patches.

--
Un saludo/Regards
Oscar Megia López