Re: next: kernel BUG at fs/ext4/mballoc.c:4369!

From: IBM
Date: Mon Jul 17 2023 - 21:57:33 EST

"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@xxxxxxx> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 17, 2023 at 08:04:54PM +0530, Ritesh Harjani wrote:
>>
>> These can basically trigger in extremely low memory space and only when
>> such ranges exist in the PA rbtree. Hence, I guess it is a little hard
>> to tigger race.
>
> Ritesh, thanks for looking into this!
>
> Naresh, how easy is it for you to trigger the BUG when using LTP? I
> did two xfstests runs using "gce-xfstests -c ext2/default -g auto",
> one on the ext4 dev branch, and one on linux-next 20230717, and I
> wasn't able to trigger the BUG.
>
> If you can trivially trigger it using LTP (perhaps with a low memory
> configuration in your test setup?), that would be useful to know.

Hi Ted,

Sorry for wrong choice of words. By low memory space I meant low disk
space i.e. ENOSPC test (fs_fill). I reproduced it like this -

root@ubuntu:/opt/ltp# while [ 1 ]; do ./runltp -s fs_fill; sleep 1; done

For me it took around ~1-2 hours for it to reproduce when I tried again.
I am hoping if we run generic/269 (fsstress ENOSPC) in a while loop like
this maybe it can hit this bug. But I didn't give it a shot.

-ritesh