Re: [RFC 2/2] mm: alloc/free depth based PCP high auto-tuning

From: Mel Gorman
Date: Mon Jul 17 2023 - 09:50:25 EST

On Mon, Jul 17, 2023 at 05:16:11PM +0800, Huang, Ying wrote:
> Mel Gorman <mgorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Batch should have a much lower maximum than high because it's a deferred cost
> > that gets assigned to an arbitrary task. The worst case is where a process
> > that is a light user of the allocator incurs the full cost of a refill/drain.
> >
> > Again, intuitively this may be PID Control problem for the "Mix" case
> > to estimate the size of high required to minimise drains/allocs as each
> > drain/alloc is potentially a lock contention. The catchall for corner
> > cases would be to decay high from vmstat context based on pcp->expires. The
> > decay would prevent the "high" being pinned at an artifically high value
> > without any zone lock contention for prolonged periods of time and also
> > mitigate worst-case due to state being per-cpu. The downside is that "high"
> > would also oscillate for a continuous steady allocation pattern as the PID
> > control might pick an ideal value suitable for a long period of time with
> > the "decay" disrupting that ideal value.
>
> Maybe we can track the minimal value of pcp->count. If it's small
> enough recently, we can avoid to decay pcp->high. Because the pages in
> PCP are used for allocations instead of idle.

Implement as a separate patch. I suspect this type of heuristic will be
very benchmark specific and the complexity may not be worth it in the
general case.

> Another question is as follows.
>
> For example, on CPU A, a large number of pages are freed, and we
> maximize batch and high. So, a large number of pages are put in PCP.
> Then, the possible situations may be,
>
> a) a large number of pages are allocated on CPU A after some time
> b) a large number of pages are allocated on another CPU B
>
> For a), we want the pages are kept in PCP of CPU A as long as possible.
> For b), we want the pages are kept in PCP of CPU A as short as possible.
> I think that we need to balance between them. What is the reasonable
> time to keep pages in PCP without many allocations?

This would be a case where you're relying on vmstat to drain the PCP after
a period of time as it is a corner case. You cannot reasonably detect the
pattern on two separate per-cpu lists without either inspecting remote CPU
state or maintaining global state. Either would incur cache miss penalties
that probably cost more than the heuristic saves.

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs