Re: [RFC 2/2] mm: alloc/free depth based PCP high auto-tuning

From: Huang, Ying
Date: Mon Jul 17 2023 - 05:18:05 EST

Mel Gorman <mgorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> [...]
>> implementation to try to reduce the overhead. And, we mainly targeted
>> long-time allocation pattern before.
>>

> Time simply has too many corner cases. When it's reset for example, all
> state is lost so patterns that are longer than the time window are
> unpredictable. It tends to work slightly better than time decays state
> rather than resets but it gets very hand-wavey.
>
>> > 2. If time was to be used, it would be cheaper to have the simpliest possible
>> > state tracking in the fast paths and decay any resizing of the PCP
>> > within the vmstat updates (reuse pcp->expire except it applies to local
>> > pcps). Even this is less than ideal as the PCP may be too large for short
>> > periods of time but it may also act as a backstop for worst-case behaviour
>>
>> This sounds reasonable. Thanks! We will try this if we choose to use
>> time-based implementation.
>>
>> > 3. free_factor is an existing mechanism for detecting recent patterns
>> > and adapting the PCP sizes. The allocation side should be symmetric
>> > and the events that should drive it are "refills" on the alloc side and
>> > "drains" on the free side. Initially it might be easier to have a single
>> > parameter that scales batch and high up to a limit
>>
>> For example, when a workload is started, several GB pages will be
>> allocated. We will observe many "refills", and almost no "drains". So,
>> we will scales batch and high up to a limit. When the workload exits,
>> large number of pages of the workload will be put in PCP because the PCP
>> high is increased. When should we decrease the PCP batch and high?
>>

> Honestly, I'm not 100% certain as I haven't spent time with paper to
> sketch out the different combinations with "all allocs" at one end, "all
> frees" at the other and "ratio of alloc:free" in the middle. Intuitively
> I would expect the time to shrink is when there is a mix.
>
> All allocs -- maximise batch and high
> All frees -- maximise batch and high
> Mix -- adjust high to appoximate the minimum value of high such
> that a drain/refill does not occur or rarely occurs
>
> Batch should have a much lower maximum than high because it's a deferred cost
> that gets assigned to an arbitrary task. The worst case is where a process
> that is a light user of the allocator incurs the full cost of a refill/drain.
>
> Again, intuitively this may be PID Control problem for the "Mix" case
> to estimate the size of high required to minimise drains/allocs as each
> drain/alloc is potentially a lock contention. The catchall for corner
> cases would be to decay high from vmstat context based on pcp->expires. The
> decay would prevent the "high" being pinned at an artifically high value
> without any zone lock contention for prolonged periods of time and also
> mitigate worst-case due to state being per-cpu. The downside is that "high"
> would also oscillate for a continuous steady allocation pattern as the PID
> control might pick an ideal value suitable for a long period of time with
> the "decay" disrupting that ideal value.

Maybe we can track the minimal value of pcp->count. If it's small
enough recently, we can avoid to decay pcp->high. Because the pages in
PCP are used for allocations instead of idle.

Another question is as follows.

For example, on CPU A, a large number of pages are freed, and we
maximize batch and high. So, a large number of pages are put in PCP.
Then, the possible situations may be,

a) a large number of pages are allocated on CPU A after some time
b) a large number of pages are allocated on another CPU B

For a), we want the pages are kept in PCP of CPU A as long as possible.
For b), we want the pages are kept in PCP of CPU A as short as possible.
I think that we need to balance between them. What is the reasonable
time to keep pages in PCP without many allocations?

>> > 4. The amount of state tracked seems excessive and increases the size of
>> > the per-cpu structure by more than 1 cache line. That in itself may not
>> > be a problem but the state is tracked on every page alloc/free that goes
>> > through the fast path and it's relatively complex to track. That is
>> > a constant penalty in fast paths that may not may not be relevant to the
>> > workload and only sustained bursty allocation streams may offset the
>> > cost.
>>
>> Yes. Thanks for pointing this out. We will optimize this if the other
>> aspects of the basic idea could be accepted.
>>

> I'm not opposed to having an adaptive pcp->high in concept. I think it would
> be best to disable adaptive tuning if percpu_pagelist_high_fraction is set
> though. I expect that users of that tunable are rare and that if it *is*
> used that there is a very good reason for it.

OK. Will do that in the future version.

>> > 5. Memory pressure and reclaim activity does not appear to be accounted
>> > for and it's not clear if pcp->high is bounded or if it's possible for
>> > a single PCP to hide a large number of pages from other CPUs sharing the
>> > same node. The max size of the PCP should probably be explicitly clamped.
>>
>> As in my reply to Michal's email, previously I thought
>> ZONE_RECLAIM_ACTIVE will be set for kswap reclaiming, and PCP high will
>> be decreased to (batch * 4) effectively. Or I miss something?
>>

> I don't think you did, but it deserves a big comment in the tuning at minimum
> and potentially even disabling adaptive tuning entirely if reclaim is active.

Sure. Will do that.

Best Regards,
Huang, Ying