Re: Backporting commits for generating rpi dtb symbols to stable

From: Pali Rohár
Date: Sun Jul 16 2023 - 15:55:59 EST

On Sunday 16 July 2023 21:47:54 Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2023-07-16 18:24, Pali Rohár wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I see that raspberry pi bootloader throws ton of warnings when supplied
> > DTB file does not contain /__symbols__/ node.
> >
> > On RPI 1B rev1 it looks like this:
> >
> > dterror: no symbols found
> > dterror: no symbols found
> > dterror: no symbols found
> > dterror: no symbols found
> > dterror: no symbols found
> > dterror: no symbols found
> > dterror: no symbols found
> > dterror: no symbols found
> > dterror: no symbols found
> > dterror: no symbols found
>
> Do you have those errors with the default configuration? On a RPI 4,
> this only happens when setting uart_2ndstage to 1 in config.txt.
> According to the documentation, this option enables diagnostic
> information from the main firmware.

Yes, I have it with default configuration. And I really do not know why
it is happening, I just described observations and that dtc -@ fixes
this issue. Note that this is about 1b rev1 (the first revision); so the
older HW, so maybe this can be a reason?

> Unless this is different on RPI 1B, this means we are talking about a
> warning that happens when enabling diagnostic information, so I am not
> sure it warrants a change to stable kernels.

Well, that is why I asked, if it is something for stable or not.