Re: [GIT PULL] bcachefs

From: James Bottomley
Date: Fri Jul 07 2023 - 13:04:36 EST

On Fri, 2023-07-07 at 12:48 -0400, Kent Overstreet wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 07, 2023 at 12:26:19PM -0400, James Bottomley wrote:
> > On Fri, 2023-07-07 at 05:18 -0400, Kent Overstreet wrote:
[...]
> > > In that offlist thread, I don't recall much in the way of actual,
> > > concrete concerns. I do recall Christoph doing his usual schpiel;
> > > and to be clear, I cut short my interactions with Christoph
> > > because in nearly 15 years of kernel development he's never been
> > > anything but hostile to anything I've posted, and the criticisms
> > > he posts tend to be vague and unaware of the surrounding
> > > discussion, not anything actionable.
> >
> > This too is a red flag.  Working with difficult people is one of a
> > maintainer's jobs as well.  Christoph has done an enormous amount
> > of highly productive work over the years.  Sure, he's prickly and
> > sure there have been fights, but everyone except you seems to
> > manage to patch things up and accept his contributions.  If it were
> > just one personal problem it might be overlookable, but you seem to
> > be having major fights with the maintainer of every subsystem you
> > touch...
>
> James, I will bend over backwards to work with people who will work
> to continue the technical discussion.

You will? Because that doesn't seem to align with your statement about
Christoph being "vague and unaware of the surrounding discussions" and
not posting "anything actionable" for the last 15 years. No-one else
has that impression and we've almost all had run-ins with Christoph at
some point.

James