Re: mainline build failure due to cf21f328fcaf ("media: nxp: Add i.MX8 ISI driver")

From: Thorsten Leemhuis
Date: Mon May 15 2023 - 10:55:36 EST

On 15.05.23 09:46, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Sun, May 14, 2023 at 1:01 PM Krzysztof Kozlowski <krzk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 10/05/2023 10:05, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>>> And another CI job testing bisect breakages as I receive pull requests,
>>> applying patch per patch and using both allyesconfig and allmodconfig,
>>> also on x86_64 arch with W=1:
>>>
>>> https://builder.linuxtv.org/job/patchwork/
>>>
>>> The rule is to not merge stuff on media tree if any of those jobs
>>> fail. I also fast-forward merging patches whose subject states that
>>> the build has failed.
>>>
>>> In order to help with that, on normal situation, I usually take one week
>>> to merge stuff from media_stage into media_tree, doing rebases at
>>> media_stage if needed to avoid git bisect build breakages at media_tree
>>> (which is from where I send my update PRs to you).
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, currently we don't have resources to do multiple randconfig
>>
>> Is you media staging tree included in LKP (kernel test robot)? You would
>> get huge build coverage after every push to your staging repo.
>
> As (multiple[*[) fixes for the build issues were submitted before the
> opening of the merge window, there must have been some build coverage,
> with even some people acting upon it...
>
> [*] General note, not limited to media: please apply build fixes and
> regression fixes ASAP, to avoid multiple people running into the
> same issues, and spending time on bisecting, investigating,
> fixing, ...
> Thanks a lot!

FWIW, I proposed a rewritten section of
Documentation/process/handling-regressions.rst that is closely related
to this. The new text says:

```
+ * Do not consider regressions from the current cycle as something that
can wait
+ till the end of the cycle, as the issue might discourage or prevent
users and
+ CI systems from testing mainline now or generally.
[...]
+ * Aim to mainline a fix within two or three days, if the issue is
severe or
+ bothering many users -- either in general or in prevalent conditions
like a
+ particular hardware environment, distribution, or stable/longterm
series.```

For details and context see
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-doc/6971680941a5b7b9cb0c2839c75b5cc4ddb2d162.1684139586.git.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx/

Let me known if you think I should be more explicit; I could simply add
a "this includes, but is not limited to fixes for build errors" to the
second segment mentioned above. But well, that yet again would make the
text longer. :-(

Ciao, Thorsten