Re: [GIT PULL] MM updates for 6.4-rc1

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Apr 27 2023 - 23:25:22 EST

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 8:15 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Most of the bulk of the conflicts were around __filemap_get_folio()
> now returning an ERR_PTR, particularly then with Willy doing the ext4
> folio conversion.
>
> So Christoph, Willy, mind just double-checking me?

Just to clarify: I do take a look at linux-next, but I do it as an
after-the-fact "let's double-check my resolution", and some of my
resolutions don't end up being identical because I end up doing things
differently.

For example, I found the linux-next resolution in
ext4_read_merkle_tree_page() to be nonsensical. I think it probably
generates the same code as my resolution, but doing "&folio->page" on
an ERR_PTR folio is some funky funky sh*t.

Only after looking at the linux-next resolution did I grep around and
notice that that kind of funky struff had already made it into
mainline in non-conflicting places. Willy - it seems to be you
spreading that crazy pattern. Please stop.

Anyway.

I did some things differently, and while I think my resolution is the
right one, the fact that it is different could also just mean that I'm
confused.

Linus