Re: {standard input}:924: Error: unrecognized opcode: `eieio'

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Mon Apr 24 2023 - 15:43:06 EST

Hi Pali,

On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 8:49 PM Pali Rohár <pali@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Monday 24 April 2023 09:49:07 Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > > Hello! What is that? In this error report there is no compile log, nor
> > > any file / line. And "Link:" line from above error report does not work.
> > >
> > > Intel, can you look at your robot? This looks some bug in error reporting.
> >
> > Looks fine to me: this is not a compile problem, but an assembler problem.
> > Presumably this is when building a kernel for a PPC platform that does
> > not support the eieio instruction?
>
> What is fine on this report? There is completely missing command which
> generated this error; whole error message; input files which caused them

The file name is indeed missing.

> and also change or commit.

That is mentioned, and looks like a valid possible introducer.

> And what presumably happened? I'm really not going to spend more time on
> guessing what reporter could probably might wanted to write into the
> report and start looking into crystal ball what could be an issue.
>
> I can say that this issue presumably happened when email operator of
> this robot pushed incorrect button and instead of the real report, it
> sent test report with content of some random error line from the random
> log file.
>
> Are we on the technical discussion about exactness? Or are going to
> discuss what who think that what could happened?

It's randconfig, and the config is provided, incl. steps to reproduce.

> > The Link: works fine for me, sometimes you just have to be a little bit
> > patient for the archiver to catch up...
>
> Sorry, I do not have time to wait undefined amount of time to access
> additional resources which are based on reported details required for
> debugging.

The Link is just a reference to the email you received in your mailbox,
and to all follow-ups.

> Intel, could you please react on this issue? If not, I'm going to add
> your robot to my black list. It is not first time when I received such
> useless report from you and nobody reacted on it.

Well, you are the one who authored the offending commit, and at
first glance, it looks like a reasonable culprit that could introduce the
failure mentioned ;-)

Presumably you forgot to cater for a very specific combination of
config option values?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds